Who do you think you are?
Born in Wingham NSW in the Manning Valley, now grown up with 3 teenage children.
Papua New Guinea, Pacific Islands, Africa, United Kingdom, Western Europe, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia - Including working on Rotary projects in Thailand and Cambodia to introduce water filtering systems in schools.
Get a real job:
· worked with Bank of NSW based in Papua New Guinea
· long banking career with Westpac and CBA Banks throughout Australia
· Euro Agricultural Resources based in Malaysia,
· Oztex Australia Meat exporting company , with travels to South Africa and Asia
· Westpac and Suncorp Banks in Mount Isa
· Car restoration – specialising in Cortinas
· Fishing/camping and four wheel driving with his family
· Bird watching
· “True Confessions” with Robert de Niro and Robert Duvall (with “Avatar” as close second)
If you could have a dinner party and invite 5 guests living or dead – who would you invite?
· Captain Cook
· Norah Jones
· George Clooney
· Allan Moffatt
· Doctor David Livingstone
Best concert EVER:
· “QUEEN” 25th April 1985 at the Sydney Entertainment Centre
Something about you people may not know:
· gained his Certificate in Incubation and Hatchery Management from the Veterinary Institute of Zimbabwe (chickens to ostriches)
Community/Schools project update
Round 1 of the Urban Community NRM projects saw a range of projects being rolled out throughout the region; these included:
· Flinders Eco Walk – 72 volunteers and students planting native trees with Greening Australia along the Flinders River in Hughenden.
· Burketown HACC garden- 30 community members including Mayor Annie Clarke attended the gardens Grand Opening morning tea at the Old Church Hall.
· Warrina Park Stage 1 – 25 participants gained qualifications in horticulture while installing gardens, fencing and pathways for the public to utilize down at Warrina Park below Lake Moondarra.
· Mount Isa Guides Environmental Gardens- 30 guides, parents and leaders were involved in the installation of native garden beds and no-dig herb gardens at the Guide Hall.
· Healy Murrijunda Native River Walk – Healy State School Environmental Club constructed a native garden river walk at the back of the school ground to extend the existing cultural garden.
· Remembrance Courtyard – 150 students and parents have been working tirelessly to complete gardens and mosaic artworks for the Remembrance Courtyard to be opened in June 2012.
· Environmental & Personal Sustainability Program – 425 students and community members at St Joseph’s Mount Isa have been learning about becoming more environmentally aware; On March 2nd 2012 their hard work paid off with the opening of their bush tucker garden.
The sustainable schools program in 2011 saw schools from around the region getting involved in National Events including; National Tree Day, Weedbuster Week, World Environment Day, World Rivers Day and NAIDOC Week.
Upcoming urban community NRM projects for 2012:
· Gregory Township Weed Eradication Program: A partnership project with Burke Shire Council, combating weeds in the Town Common Area of Gregory. $20,000
· Townview Garden Projects: Gardening project involving all students and teachers building two bush tucker gardens and some healthy food eating gardens. $10,000
· St Joseph’s Catholic School Orchard (Cloncurry): Eco warrior project where classes are assigned areas of the orchard to look after, plant and pick. $3,500
· Richmond Skate Park Native Tree Planting Project: A partnership with Richmond Shire Council to plant out the area next to the skate park, a project under the schools SEMP. $7,700
· Growing Up Green - Dream, Plan, and Live: A part of Saint Joseph’s Mount Isa’s Environmental and Sustainable Program. This project will comprise of an aboriginal art workshops and no-dig vegetable garden installation. $18,100
· Healthy Food Gardens: Involves volunteers from the Gregory River Landcare and Bulimba Creek (B4C) groups working with students at Gregory, Doomadgee and Burketown to install no-dig vegetable gardens. $3,878.40